Pumwani Maternity Hospital is a referral maternity hospital located on the east of Nairobi City. The hospital has a vision to be an autonomous, efficient maternity hospital where all mothers receive comprehensive essential maternity care. This is to be achieved by a mission to provide leadership in maternity services, training and development of Clinical and Nursing services.
The Hospital was founded in 1926 by a Charitable Organization called Lady Grigg Welfare League and was named Lady Grigg Maternity. In 1928 the first permanent building was put up at the Hospital and later some extensions were made to give the Hospital a bed capacity of 27.
In 1944 the Hospital was taken over by the Municipal Council of Nairobi. The Pumwani Maternity Hospital is a pioneer in the provision of maternity care in Sub-Saharan Africa. The name “Pumwani” is derived from the Swahili word to “breathe” or “relax” which is befitting of a mother who has just delivered a healthy baby.